Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Blood into Wine: Tool's Maynard James Keenan

I finished rewriting chapter 28 last night and had a notion to watch a movie I've been wanting to see for a while now-- Blood into Wine. A film about Maynard's inspiration to become a wine maker and the labors he's endured to embark on a new ground-breaking masterwork. So, without further ado, I'll put on some tool and write.

I've admired Tool's music now for many years. I can remember the first time I watched "Sober" from the "Undertow," album on MTV when they still played music. I have to say, I didn't understand the music. I was into a different sort of music back them. I didn't get the whole dark ethereal thing at first. It took a while to grow on me. But alas, like all greatness, it often takes our minds a day or two to catch up to what we are experiencing. But after a few more reluctant endeavors into their dark themes, hypnotic rhythms, I couldn't stop listening. Aside from their unflinching musical style, I was struck by Maynard's cryptic lyrics and dark wit, especially on track, "69."

Needless to say, I was hooked and have remained a devout listener and voice for the magic that is Tool's music. Their sonic revelries have inspired many hours of creative thought and artistic deliberation. So what doe's this have to do with the movie, well everything. What does this have to do with my Novel, well, everything.

First off, I recommend the movie to any Maynard fan. It's perhaps the most informative take on who he actually is as a person, as well as what motivates him. You may find this hard to believe, but he's a normal dude, like any of us. Amazing right? But just as his music, be it with Tool, A Perfect Circle, or Puscifer, Maynard's attention to the cerebral and multilayered ebb of spirit remains apparent.

This documentary-movie has illustrates how Maynard is constantly in the process of understanding himself in relationship to this world and the land, or orchard, he walks. His link and relationship to his wine stands a barometer by which he identifies himself through the harvest of his orchard. Ambitious, always trying to learn, both his fortune and misfortune sculpt his character; which in turn forms his palate; which inspires the multi-dimensional wines that flow from Caduceus Vineyards.


His Journey, although highly successful, has always been about trusting his intuition despite the critics. This is the journey for all of us if we only entrust the deeper energies that reside beyond our standard day to day rhetoric. Yes, there is always pain involved. Rhetoric to. But even these may be inspiring stepping stones if we are on the path to, "Following Your Bliss."

I like to think that the more pain we encounter the greater our reward. Success cannot come without sacrifice. Sacrifice is the key to achieving your dreams. Just like Maynard. Just like me. Just like you. We must first give up before we can receive.


No comments:

Post a Comment