Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gardening: Giving back to the Earth & Creating lasting Family

Gardening, as Wikipedia defines is: The practice of growing plantsOrnamental plants are normally grown for their flowersfoliage, overall appearance, or for their dyes. Useful plants are grown for consumption (vegetablesfruitsherbs, and leaf vegetables) or for medicinal use. A gardener is someone who practices gardening.


Gardening ranges in scale from fruit orchards, to long boulevard plantings with one or more different types of shrubstrees and herbaceous plants, to residential yards including lawns and foundation plantings, to large or small containers grown inside or outside. Gardening may be very specialized, with only one type of plant grown, or involve a large number of different plants in mixed plantings. It involves an active participation in the growing of plants, and tends to be labor intensive, which differentiates it from farming or forestry.
I am a Gardener, not really a good one, but one always in the pursuit of learning. Fortunately, I do have a green thumb, which is helpful. I also have a keen eye for the flow of the landscape. I love nature. And I love participating in the act of trying to take something not so beautiful and turn it into a wonderland. I love birds, butterflies, and bunnies...yes, I know this is horrible. But I equally love bats, snakes, and the other creepy-crawly, critters that invade our nightmares and fears... I like to stay balanced.
So for all of you out there, all over the world from France to India, from the Ukraine to Canada, I'll be leaving posts of my garden. It's not as large as I would like. I don't have acres of land. What I do have though is an entire landscape as my canvas, with certain approval that is.
Why do I garden? Why should we garden? Well, why not. What's more amazing then watching a single seed turn into a plant that grows, flowers, and produces fruits and vegetables to sustain our body? Gardening to me is the highest form of practical-magic. When I look at the world around me, I see magic everywhere. I believe true honest magic, like gardening, is alive and well. It is real. I explain to my Girls that everyone has magic, that everything is magical. This teaches them to appreciate the environment they are growing up in; it also teaches them to appreciate others around them for their own unique abilities.
Back to what I was saying, Why? As I see it, it's the best possible way to stick it to our governing rulers along with ensuring a healthy food source. They want us to eat useless, non-nutritious foods, that are subsidized by our government (keeping cost low through taxpayer dollars, i.e. we are still paying for it) to huge conglomerate companies that are seeking total global domination of food sources through the use of GMOs (Genetically Modified Organism). Farmers have lost entire parcels of land due to cross contamination of Genetic Strains of crops created by Monsanto, a wicked organization that is well on it's way to ruling the world by controlling the genetic patents on seed. To join in the fight, stop this demonic entity, and bring power back to the people, check out Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and Seed Savers Exchange.


So how can you fight back? Grow you own food. Take time with your family, friends and neighbors to create a garden plot where you can begin to rediscover the magic of a seed, dirt, water and sunlight... Life! Not only will your plants grow and your lives and health be improved, your relationship with everyone who participates along with the land will blossom too. Growing food is the most magical thing we can do outside of using our imaginations of corse. One last note, if you're going to do any landscaping, why not use a plant that produces fruit instead of one that doesn't. Plant Nut trees for shade, blueberry bushes for hedges, cranberries for low lying shrubs. Not only does this provide you with food, it helps feed the wildlife around you and ensures the biological diversity for future generations. Happy planting.


2 comments:

  1. give the plants brando, because it has electrylities
    yea this is pretty awesome
    metalcore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, just caught that one... thought it was from Idiocracy. Yeah Brando... "It has what plants Crave."

    ReplyDelete