Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Parallel Earth: The Fantastic Art of Scott Clark

Friends, Romans and Countrymen lend me your ears. Ok, now that I have your attention, I can continue.
U . N . I . O . N
Art...what is it? Well, it is many things to many people. Sometimes it's a pretty picture on the wall that makes you feel all gooey inside. Other times it is a wrecked piece of canvas which coveys little meaning what so ever. And on those rare occasions, it becomes a spiritually transcendent moment, that great occasion when the artist gets out of their way and allows the work to become what it was intended to be, and thus conveys the revelation to the viewer.

Ok, so what does this have to do with me? Just in case you didn't know, I'm an artist too. What I paint, draw, or render in some medium are energies that emerge through my perception. I have experimented with many forms of application, oils, acrylics, airbrush, digital, photography. You get the picture. I've discovered that each medium offers its own unique way of effecting the outcome of any particular piece, as well as what can be visually  achieved.

Confession
Fortunate and unfortunate, my concentrations have centered on the creation of the epic world that unfolds within the realm of Parallel Earth. Actually, I owe a great debt to my art and how it transformed the story I was writing. As I often sketched bizarre creatures for my Earth, I had to understand how they came into being. The same thing happened with the characters.

I drew this one guy and I thought he looked super bad-ass; he looked so bad-ass, I didn't want him to be a villain (if I dare call any of my characters villains), I wanted him to be a good guy. But he looked so strange. How had he become what he was?

This led me to uncover his back-story, which sent me further down the path to understand how such conditions were created, which then led me further back into the history of my writings to comprehend how he could have even come into being, thus his story rooted back more years than I dare say... a very long time.

Lost Love
As for my creative process of art, it is very spontaneous. I try to lay out basic compositional elements. Once this is done, I think of a color scheme and go with it. I'm never really sure what I'm going to end up with. I just let the image present itself. I am a horrible Illustrator. I have very difficult time trying to set, formulate, and execute a image as a commercial artist. This is not my strong-point.

What is my strength? Letting go and letting it be. I do not paint images as much as I allow them to be seen, and I am the eyes and force through which they come into manifestation. My mother hates my art. She always asked me, "Scott, why can't you paint something pretty?" I responded, "For every one of me, there are a thousand people painting pretty things that make other's feel good."

 I have since learned I can paint pretty things, and it takes about the same amount of effort. But I sing in the shadows. I love to exercise the deeper energies of my perception through creating things I, nor anyone, has never seen. I follow no format. I rarely even have a plan aside from a few key notes. And typically, I just let it flow. This, to me, is the only honest way I can both express and experience the deep feelings that lie deep within me in hopes of being exhumed from the depths of my soul to be awakened into this age.

One last thing, you can catch me facebook and on twitter.


See, I can paint pretty.


No comments:

Post a Comment